Thursday, September 30, 2010

Back to School!

Unfortuantly the endless days of summer have ended. My long sunburned days at the pool. The sun not setting until way after 9, the kids not really needing an actual bedtime, not worrying about homework and waking up early and needing to be somewhere every minute. Its all over and back are the hustle and bustle of the school year.

Both kids are enjoying school. Azzayah just started second grade and is doing very well. I went to teachers conference yesterday and her teacher went on and on about how good of a student she is (which I already knew...although it would be nice if she could practice some of it at home). I got her midterms and she got all 4's which I am thinking are A's (the way they do things confuses me sometimes, doesn't take much I know). Xavier also started back to preschool he loves his teacher and I know he will have a very hard time next year when he needs to move onto kindergarten he wants to stay in preschool forever. His sister doesn't help with this because she is always telling him how much she misses preschool. Thanks Azzayah for all your help! He goes four days a week now which is taking an adjustment but we are doing it. He is also going in the morning which is a switch because he started off in the afternoon which was nice because he is not a morning person. But we are all getting into the swing of it and I think adjusting well. In my time with the kids at school I am volunteering at Azzayah's school 2 days a week helping with their lending library. It is nice to help get books into the hands of many kids who don't have books. I personally love to read and so do my kids so it is a fun and very time consuming thing to do.

Also with back to school means back to extra things. Azzayah has started back at dance this will be her 5th year dancing and she really loves it and does really well. She has finally gotten into the older group of girls which is nice because it really pushes her. She had to be 7 to start in this class and I think it has done her well. She has also decided to do choir at her school. She has always loved to sing and seems to be really enjoying herself. Xavier is doing soccer, this is his second season with it. He seems to like it although he is on a very young team so they are struggling a bit. Which doesn't help because Xavier doesn't like to pay attention for an extended period of time especially on one field where for some reason there is always big puddles. Who lets 4 year olds play on a field where there are puddles? You have to know nothing will get done. Especially if you have Xavier on your team.

Azzayah is not happy that Xavier is doing soccer and she isn't. It has been a battle betweeen us for months. Everytime I take Xavier to practice or a game I hear "I really miss soccer. I wish I were doing soccer. I really liked soccer, I wish I was playing" and you were given the choice whether you wanted to do dance or soccer and you choose dance. Did I have a helping hand in this? Quite possibly. But she dances so well and lets just say organzied sports where you have to run and kick is not her strong suite. I also told her she has plenty on her plate that I didn't think she needed anymore. Which she loves to repeat to everyone that asks her what she does. This is usually how it goes.

OP (other person): Oh you do dance?

Zaya: Yes I do dance, I used to do soccer but my mom told me I needed to pick between dance and soccer so I choose dance.

OP: Oh thats good

Zaya: Yes but I really liked soccer and I really wanted to do both but my mom told me I couldn't because I was doing enough.

Seriously? I can't ever catch a break I swear. And Xavier even told this whole story to his soccer coach. "My sister used to do soccer but she doesn't now she just does dance because my mom said she was doing enough"

We are going to continue our summer of fun even though yes I know its not summer anymore BUT...Lagoon is still opened so we have to finish up the season. So we are going to try to get to Freightmares two more times before the end of the year and before it gets cold and snowy and I don't want to leave the house.

No comments: